University of the Witwatersrand Vacancies
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference may be given to appointable applicants from the underrepresented designated groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University.
The University retains the right not to make an appointment and to verify all information provided by candidates.
Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Clock-in drivers in the morning and afternoon; keep record of the attendance register.
- Responsible for breathalyzer procedure to test for alcohol daily.
- Allocate vehicles to drivers at the start of shift or/and during the shift.
- To implement the set timetable, not running early or late, when it is safe to do so
- Dispatch buses with drivers to their designated routes and trips.
- Ensure drivers have correct time sheets before commencing route or trip
- Required to wear prescribed uniforms at all times whilst on duty.
- Communicate effective in a professional manner with customers.
- To provide a professional, courteous and friendly service to all stakeholders
- To drive to the set timetable, not running early or late, when it is safe to do so
- Regular and random monitoring of routes on-and-off campus and providing feedback to line-manager.
- Supervisor should be visible at the bus stops to monitor and support the bus drivers and regulators
- Live Tracking monitoring of buses and vehicles as and when required.
- Monitoring of Field Trips and Ad Hoc Trips across all campuses
- Accident/Incident Management
- Vehicle Defects Reporting
- Facilitating the refueling of buses / vehicles
- Ensure buses are cleaned on daily basis before dispatched for route or trip
- Be aware of buses booked for safety checks and repairs.
- Carry out lawful and reasonable duties required by OHS, SHEQ
- To ensure a full understanding of emergency and evacuation plans and procedures
- Understand University Health & Safety Policy, and Emergency Fire Procedures
- Ensure safety hazards and risks are identified and reported to the operations controller immediately
- Facilities regular safety and awareness meetings related to driving and accidents/incidents
- Keep record of all the permits, fire extinguishers, licenses.
- Grade 12
- Certificate related to Transport
- Minimum 3 years active passenger transport sector
- Valid Driver’s License Code EC1 (0,4) or EC
- Professional Driving Permit (PrDP)
- Computer literate
- Advance Driving Skills
- Writing and numeracy skills
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours
- Customer Service
- Communication Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Relationship Building
Compliance/Statutory Requirements (Knowledge, Understanding and or Training)
- OHS Act
- AARTO Act
- National Road Traffic Act
How To Apply
Please submit a covering letter clearly indicating which post you are applying for, detailed CV with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail addresses of 3 referees to Wits Vacancies
External applicants are invited to apply, by registering your profile on the Wits i-recruitment platform located at https://irec.wits.ac.za and submitting your application.
Internal employees are invited to apply directly on Oracle by following the path: iWits /Self Service application/ “Apply for a job”